Saturday 1 December 2012

Pak Sheung Chuen at the Tate Liverpool

Pak Sheung Chuen at the Tate Liverpool








Chuen's exhibition at the Tate Liverpool was titled 'A travel without experience 2008' as part of the Liverpool Biennial. The exhibition was in a pitch black room and too see the pictures the viewer had to use the flash on their camera. Above are the pictures I took at the exhibition. Chuen's explanation of his work is as follows 'I went on a 5-day package tour to Malaysia, a country that I had never been to before. From Hong Kong to Malaysia then back to Hong Kong. I either closed or covered up my eyes (in order to pretend that I was blind) for the entire journey. During the trip I did all the usual sightseeing and took many photos, but instead of seeing I only used my body to sense and experience my surroundings. These photographs enabled my ‘future’ eyes to view the documented foreign landscapes at a later stage. My images, along with the photographs and videos taken by other members of our group, became the sole reference for my indirect memories and visual experience of Malaysia. I will never set foot in Malaysia again.' Coulter-Smith, G. (2012) 'Pak Sheung Chuen, A Travel without Visual Experience 2008, Liverpool Biennial 2012' [Internet] Artintelligence, available from http://artintelligence.net/review/?p=870 accessed 30/11/12. This was my favourite piece from the Liverpool Biennial and I really like the different style of the exhibition.

No comments:

Post a Comment