Wednesday 27 February 2013

Book research task-Just my type

Book research task-Just my type

As part of my ppp tasks I have to research a book from the library and list the top 3 things I learnt and how this will help my self directed project progress.

Garfield explains the difference between legibilityand readability-the impact of size. Using the album cover The Beach Boys- Pet Sounds as his example. He states that 'at small sizes, Cooper Black is legible but not very readable,' Garfield, S. (2011) 'Just My Type', London: Profile Books. Legibility and readiblity are something I will bear in mind when making my typographic posters.

Garfield explains the notion of kerning, which is the science of spacing letters. 'The 'kern' is that part of a character that overhangs or underhangs its body and invades the space of the letter next to it' Garfield, S. (2011) 'Just My Type', London: Profile Books. Although tastes have changed and it now may be possible to create a workable typeface which has its letters resting against each other. This is something I will play about with.
Garfield also helps us understand a type's legacy is in its social impact. Garfield shows how the invention of the first mechanical printing press, which was the inception of type in the 1440s, directly resulted in a more learned world. He discusses how the use of  'a type consciously chosen to suggest forward thinking without frightening the horses,' Garfield, S. (2011) 'Just My Type', London: Profile Book, helped elect President Barack Obama. This font, called Gotham, was more sophisticated, more contemporary and more flexible than the team’s original choice, Gill Sans. Gotham is available in over 40 different varieties. Before Obama's typographic change campaigns would choose numerous typefaces, but choosing one font helped create an association between the font and the person thereby strengthening the campaign.


1 comment:

  1. I think these were really useful things to look at for your research, you seem to have understood what you've read and the interaction and associations we make when looking at type and that graphic designers use.

    ReplyDelete